Prep Time: 15 mins
Bake Time: 30 mins
For the Sponge:
1 cup of flour
4 teaspoon baking powder
0.5 cup sugar(I used brown)
0.5cup of milk
Half a teaspoon of salt
One apple, peeled, cored and sliced to fit in one layer
For the Syrup:
2 tablespoons of Hikuai Honey
You will need a medium-sized cake tin, sprayed or, buttered and floured. Set your oven to 180 oC (160 oC if fan forced.)
- Spread your apple slices in one layer over the base of your cake tin.
- Add dry ingredients to a mixing bowl.
- Heat milk with butter until warm, but not hot or boiling.
- Add the egg to the milk mixture and beat to ensure the egg is incorporated.
- Add the milk mixture to the dry ingredients.
- Spoon the thick batter over the sliced apples.
- Melt the honey and syrup in a saucepan.
- Pour the syrup over the sponge as soon as it comes out of the oven, allow it to soak in.
Bake for 30 minutes in the center of the oven, check with a cake skewer, or toothpick to ensure it is baked through.
Serve warm with custard or ice cream, or enjoy with a cuppa.
I used Hikuai Honey, it is simply delicious – simply click the link to order yours.
NOTE: You can use apples, pears, or even peaches.